Monday, October 18, 2010

Say Hello To My New Friend.....

In August I acquired my first antique sewing machine.  It is a Singer No. 66, Oscillating Hook machine.  I did the research and it was built in 1957.  I acquired the machine through Thread Bare, it is a charity shop and the owner Ann Randall is awesome.  People donate so many awesome items to her and she in turns sells the items to benefit various charity organizations.  You should check out her shop, donate or even volunteer.  She is also the creator of Crafting Comfort.  So if you have a few minutes, take a moment to look her up.  Through the gift of giving, so many benefit from it, regardless of how big or small it is.

Meet "Ole Girl", she is a little dirty, but will be clean soon.  I am truly enjoying my machine.  I have a mission of getting to know it from top to bottom and inside and out.  I want to be able to repair it and keep it going.  I bought this machine because I wanted one that I could set to my quilting measurements and it stay that way.  With the ability to set it and forget it, I could piece items that much faster and hopefully keep them more accurate.

The machine came in its original case (a light greenish color).  I had to be real careful and not care it by the handle of the case as the machine was so heavy it almost separated from the top portion and would have fell to to its doom.  It did not come with an original manual, had to locate that online and the pictures are not that very clear, but it is something (rather than nothing at all).  It also came with a lot of attachment feet that I have no clue how to work (see them later on in this post)

Front Side

Front Face

Back Side

Rear End

Serial Number

Motor Information
I already see a few things that will need to be replaced (in addition to the thorough cleaning it really needs), the motor belt (fraying and may not last very long) and bobbin tire which is no longer pliable rubber, it is now brittle and has no traction).  Those things are pretty small, so I am not too worried and a local sewing machine shop Singer Northwest Sewing Station says they can almost always find parts.  Which is good, because I just broke the lower pulley trying to replace the belt (I did not realize that there was screw to loosen to get the motor to move up and down for adjustments).  I will have to have that part replaced as well.

I wish that there was a manual that gave you a good diagram of the parts of the machine, so when you are searching for parts you have a name to look for.  The manual I printed off line has a diagram, but I guess in copying it the photo was distorted.

My biggest dilemma is trying to name and figure out how to use all the additional feet that came with the machine.  Some of them I am finding based off the small part number that is listed on them.  However, others may have a number, but it is too small to read or there is no number at all.  If you recognize any of these or could lead me to sites that could explain their attachment to my machine and above all how to use them please let me know in the comments.  It would be greatly appreciated.

06/2012-Adjustable Hemmer


06/2012-Hemming Foot
Other Instructions

 
Name ME above?


Part#36865 (06/2012-Edge Stitcher)
Other Instructions


 

These 3 above are all the same
06/2012-Zipper Foot
 

 

 

06/2012-The Ruffler
Other instructions
 
Name ME above?


Name ME above?


06/2012-Cording Foot



Part# 85587 (06/2012-This is the seam guide,
I just need to purchase a thumb screw)
 











Says it is a Hemmer












06/2012-Multi-slotted Binder
Other instructions
 
I also recently joined a Yahoo group geared toward singer sewing machines, called Vintagesingers.  I have been reading their posts and these are enthusiasts, hobbyists, and sewers who really love the older model machines.  To think that most of these machines end up in the trash.  I am glad that I was able to rescue at least one of them.  I now have to arrange my craft/office/sewing room to fit a 3rd machine (one I just decided will be a travel machine for classes and it is tucked away in my travel bag).  So now to place the 2nd one where it will get as much use as the the newer model computerized machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails