Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Plant Identification Of the Week: Red Tip Plant (UPDATE)

Previously posted on 04/26/10-I am trying to identify this plant/shrub.  I planted a couple of these very small about 2 years ago and now it has formed into a type of bush.  I am needing to find out what it is so that I know when I can prune it back.  It has almost covered the walkway onto the front porch, so you have to step over it.  If you have an idea please let me know.  I know some of you will know right off hand, but I just can't figure it out and I forget to check when I am the nurseries.  Thanks in advance for  your help.






UPDATE:  You are a Salvia Greggii, Red Autumn Sage.  It is really time for you to get a pruning.  The great thing from what I have read is that you can prune this plant 2 times a year even though I climate is hot and dry.

Pruning the Autumn Sage in Hot, Dry Climates

Cut back the salvia greggii during the mid summer or the late winter to keep growth under control. Pruning in late winter will encourage the tips of the plant to branch and set a lot of buds for prolific blooming as the autumn sage comes into its most active period of growth. Pruning in mid summer can sometimes encourage a second flush of heavy bloom. On the whole, the autumn sage has a long blooming period, and although pruning in the summer may remove some flower buds, a light trim can often extend the flowering season. You can also use the summer trim to remove any rampant growth from springtime.
Thanks Beverly H. for your help in identifying this plant.  Also, thank you so much for the plant cuttings, depending on the weather this weekend I will have a great time potting them all up.  I really appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. oh yes, every time they finish blooming just give them a little trim haircut and they will bud out again. Great plants. Look for all the different colors- Hot Lips is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bonnie. I gave them a nice cut back (also cleaned from underneath them and found a balloon plant growing also discovered my lavendar again) and they are flourishing. I have seen the Hot Lips and really like them. They are on my list of plants that may go in the flower beds (to be done) along both sides of the house.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails