I woke up Thanksgiving morning prepared to enjoy good food and visiting with family and friends. Around 5:30AM (we are earlier risers everyday) as I was going through my normal routine, my husband came and asked me to help him with something in the kitchen, he needed me to take a look to see if he was seeing something correctly (I immediately thought some SNAKE or RAT had invaded the home, not looking forward to seeing what it was). As I entered the kitchen, I saw tons of pantry food on the cabinets. I said WHAT THE (all I could think of was the work that would be involved in taking care of whatever it was that he saw). He said take a look at this and tell me what you think. I immediately knew what it was....weevil (WE EVIL). HOW IN THE .....did they get in my pantry, then you know how in movies where you see flashbacks, I knew exactly how I got them.....
- About 2-3 months ago someone gave me some wheat crackers to try out. I put them in my pantry when I got home (Friday) then on Sunday I decided to try the crackers with some peanut butter and asked my daughter to make them for me (as she was making a PB&J herself). She came to me and said mom is this normal and I saw weird casings in the folds of the cracker container and some dead bugs. I said no sweet heart, put them all in the trash. I did not think twice about it after that.
- Last month we started seeing bugs flying in the house. I thought OH NO my plants have gnats again (last time I got gnats, I lost all but 2 of my plants around 10 of them) and I felt so bad because I guess I over watered the plants (did not do the finger test). So I figured well there goes my last 2 plants. After looking at the bugs more carefully, they were not gnats, but much bigger and they did not seem to bite when they landed on you (can't say 100%). We were dealing with these bugs for about a month and it was driving me crazy because I could not figure out where they were coming from and what they were let alone how to get rid of them (never thought about grabbing my camera or a baggie to put them in to investigate later, just wanted to kill them).
- About 5 days prior to Thanksgiving, my husband went to use some Basil and saw a bunch of bugs inside of the container (I started buying my seasonings from the weigh-it section of the grocery store), I could not figure out what they were since they were green (I guess from the basil). We are supposed to seal all containers tightly before you put them away (mainly to prevent something from going stale), but hey it happens sometimes, so I think that is how they got into the container (unless I did not notice them when I poured the seasoning from the baggie to the seasoning jar).
- About 3 days prior to Thanksgiving, my daughter told us that when she went to get something from the pantry that in the bag where we store the plastic bags from the grocery store to reuse as trash bags, bugs flew out of them. I figured, maybe a bug got into the pantry and flew out when the door opened.
We had never had this problem before and we have been in this house going on
If the weevils did not come from those crackers then these are the only other ways that I can come up with:
- Food from grocery store had them.
- My vegetables that I bring in from the garden have them.
- Some other product we brought into the house had them.