Sunday, June 27, 2010

Watermelon: I see you

Well while watering the garden today, I came across this little baby melon starting to produce.  I have been watching the plant carefully (at least I thought I was) because I wanted to know how it is produced an actually see it form.  I missed this one (so far it is the only one growing, but the plant has lots of flowers).  This should be a sugar bush variety (or it is a black diamond), the tags have disappeared (maybe they are down in the soil.  I picked up the seedlings from Red Barn Nursery (before I found out that it is real easy to grow melons from seeds once it warms up).  Even if I get one watermelon, I will be happy.  I realized that I previously had the watermelons in part shade (my tree started leafing out and it started shading the plants on that side.  Once I moved them into total sun, it started producing lots of flowers.  I moved the vines to now grow up the fence with stretchy garden tape.  I don't have a lot of space in the garden and plus I don't want to have to hop over the melons once they start to produce, plus I am chicken, I like to see if there is anything on the grown that I may step on.





Here is the plant the day I moved it out of partial shade (looking sad, but still growing).
Have you tried growing watermelon before, were you successful and what variety did you find worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails