Saturday, November 20, 2010

Growing Culinary Herbs in Texas

On Saturday, November 12th, I attended an herb class that was offered by the Central Texas Horticulture at the American Botanical Council, presented by Vicki Blachman.  It was a great class.  I never knew so much about herbs and thought the 1 or 2 plants that I picked up and have been lucky enough to keep alive were the extent of my "herbal gardening".  Now I am adding herbs to my list of plants to purchase.  They truly flavor food dishes and also offer that certain look to your garden.  Some of the herbs such as Tarragon, Lavender, Mexican Mint Marigold, etc. add splendid color to your garden.  Also the herbs that remain green are beautiful as well, such as Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, etc.  They also add tremendous smells in your garden through wind and by the brief brush of them as your work or walk through your garden.  I truly recommend this class to anyone who is new to gardening.  Vicki also touched on preserving the herbs and she has made various flavored vinegars with the herbs in her garden (nothing goes to waste).

We also received this publication, which touches on information regarding herbs from the Texas Department of Agriculture-Go Texas.

If you are in the Austin area, I highly suggest that you bookmark the Central Texas Horticulture blog to keep updated on future classes.  I have taken several classes through them and even if you know a lot about gardening (not me) I think you will learn something new as well as meet other people who love to garden and also newbies who are always looking for someone to help them, that could be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails