Friday, June 4, 2010

Sweet Potatoes

I started this one sweet potato spud back in late March.  I was cooking dinner and realized this spud was still in the brown paper bag in the bottom of the pantry.  I noticed it had already started to sprout and I figured I needed to get it in some water so that more sprouts would be produced.



In about a month, there were a lot of slips and they were getting taller and taller every day.  I figured that within a few weeks they could go in the ground.


Finally it was planting day.  The story on the blue tote....I was headed to work one morning and while still in the subdivision, I noticed this tote sitting next to a neighbors trash can (trash pickup was that day).  I pulled over and grabbed it.  The tote had cracks in the bottom and the sides were slightly dented.  However, I knew exactly what job this tote would serve.  My husband on the other hand was looking at me like a crazy woman....picking up trash and putting it in our car, within our neighborhood.  I had to laugh.  On planting day I gave him the task of cutting the bottom of the tote out so that I could sit it on the soil to plant my potatoes.  When it is time to harvest, I can just lift the tote up to reveal all the potatoes (well lets at least hope there is a good amount).

Newly planted sweet potato slips.  I was able to get 6 slips (4 were tall and 2 were small).

About 2 weeks later, major growth has occurred.

An additional week later more growth.  So far this bucket is off to a good start (cross your fingers, eyes, toes).

4 comments:

  1. you make me laugh girl! that is true dedication, all this from one lonely spud!
    I did learn something though, you cut him up to get more plants...I would have planted the whole thing...clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had great luck with your sweet potato. Mine didn't grow for me this year, so it was off to the garden center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathryn and Ruth@VS, I tried sweet potatoes last year when I first started gardening and I had 2 potatoes and got a lot of slips, but dingy me did not read through my material to know that you can't plant all the slips in one tote. DUHHHH. So the potates I got were like carrots and not edible. This year I said start slow and do one spud and only plant a max of 6 slips (if I got that many) in one tote. Hopefully this method will produce actual potates I reviewed "Our Engineered Garden (Alamaba)" his blog and watched what he did and learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Crafty Gardener. Are yours slips now growing?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails