Saturday, March 6, 2010

Growing Vegetables In Part Shade

I honestly always thought vegetables had to be grown in full sun, however, after reading this article it shed "a new light" for me.  If there is a way to make my greens last a little bit longer before they bolt, hey that is great.  I have several areas of my garden that could house greens and give them part shade.  I will definitely consider this for my next growing season.  I pretty much have my plan mapped out for this growing season.

I really like their philosophy...
a good rule to remember is that if you grow a plant for the fruit or the root, it needs full sun. If you grow it for the leaves, stems, or buds, a little shade will be just fine.
I can tell you that I have not heard this before and I wonder if this concept is a given.  Oh well something to add to my GARDENING NEED TO KNOW.  Enjoy the article.

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/vegetablesherbs/a/shadeveggies.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails